Choa Chu Kang, Singapore Jewish cemetery
In 1974 the government provided space for a Jewish Cemetery at Choa Chu Kang, a large burial ground for people of all faiths and ethnic groups. Approximately Six years later the older Jewish Cemeteries in Singapore, Orchard and Thomson Road were claimed by the government for redevelopment.
The remains of those buried in Orchard Road and Thomson Road Jewish Cemetery were moved to Choa Chu Kung, although some families did take this opportunity to have their relatives re-interred in Israel. Most of those re-interred in Singapore now have a small plaque with their name and date of death but a handful of the original tombstones were moved to their new resting place.
Orchard Road Jewish Cemetery was open from 1841 to 1903. It held around 160 burials. The Burial ground at Thomson Road opened in 1903 and contained both Sephardic and Ashkenazi burials.